Bought 2 lots of STI ETF at $2.72 today.
Rationale behind purchase:
1) Just got awarded bursary valued at $3000
2) Dropped 20% from its $3.39 high(in line with strategy*)
3) VIX is at 42.96 today (>40)
4) Dividend yield(ttm) is near to 3%.
5) STI is in a downtrend and stocks are generally undervalued
6) A bet on Europe's recovery
7) Time horizon of at least 5 years
8) Still have more than $10,000 in cash after purchase. Able to buy more when prices plunge further.
*My strategy for STI ETF is to start buying when price drops 20%. Subsequently, I will buy one lot of STI ETF for every 15% it drops. Next target price will thus be $2.31(0.85 x $2.72)